Sizzling Summer Music Fests in Miami County!
August 8, 2019
It’s a sizzling summer for the Tipp City, Troy, West Milton and Piqua music scene in August 2019 as these exciting festivals take place throughout the month.
A Celebration of Music and Art at the Miami Valley Music Fest
Head to the Troy Eagles Campground (2252 Troy-Urbana Rd., Troy) for the 14th annual Miami Valley Music Fest, Friday, August 9 at 4 p.m. through Sunday, August 11, 2019, at noon. This rousing celebration of music and art showcases the region’s best musicians and supports local charities.
The festival lineup includes:
- Seth Canaan and the Carriers are a three-piece indie rock group, three friends who joined up in Covington, Ohio: Canaan on guitar and vocals, Zach Pack on drums and Isaac Schaefer, Jr. on bass guitar. Their debut self-titled album was released in 2016, followed by the recently released “Strange Forces” The group will also be appearing at Tippapalooza on August 31.
- Dustin Smith and the Daydreamers is a psychedelic rock/blues/reggae jam Band Doing Original Music and covers from the 60s and 70s. They debuted their new song “Freedom” in July 2019 at the Ohio Dreamfest.
- Terrapin Moon is Ohio’s premier Grateful Dead tribute band. This Dayton group, featuring Charlie Roark, Bill Kurzenberger, Trevor Edge, Dead Tom, and Tyler Smith, plays classic covers in venues and festivals in Ohio and beyond. The group has shared the stage with music greats such as Willie Nelson, New Riders of the Purple Sage and Kris Kristofferson.
- The Typical Johnsons. Their unique sound is self-described as “indie alt country-punk music that leans toward alternative with a twist of folk”.
- McGuff & the Dumpster Fires. With lead vocals by Taylor and Emily McGuff, the Dumpster Fires’ sound is influenced by punk, funk and rockabilly.
- The Barnhart Band features the bass and guitar duo of John—a Troy native– and Cyndi Barnhart. The Barnharts will also be appearing at the Troy Porch Fest in September.
- Solo artist Courtney Wise, with a folky pop sound, has been performing in Dayton area clubs for several years and has been working with Trilevel Records to release her original tracks.
Tickets are $25 to $75, children age 12 and under are free. Reserved camping passes are available for $75; car camping and VIP passes are $25.
The Inaugural Hopewell Music Festival
Fans of Southern rock and blues will not want to miss the inaugural Hopewell Music Festival. The one-day event takes place on August 17, 2019, from noon to 11 p.m
- The incredible line-up includes RJ Howson & Friends with special guest Michael Allman – featuring music from the Allman Brothers. RJ’s friends include Buddy Guy’s Marty Sammon, and Charlie Daniels’ Pat McDonald. (It’s possible we may see a couple other appearances from the Allman family as well).
- Fans of American Idol will recognize Alexis Gomez, a Top 16 finalist from the show’s season 14. The country singer/songwriter is an Ohio native who has opened for artists including Randy Houser, Montgomery Gentry, Midland, Cassadee Pope, Clint Black, and Old Dominion.
- Electric blues trio Michael Locke & The Repeat Offenders play a range of tunes from B.B. King to John Lee Hooker, and the Vaughan Brothers to their own original music. Their new LP is “Dust Off My Heart”
- Ohio native and singer-songwriter Jason Bonham is known professionally as “Thunderbear.” His original tune “Popcorns-a-smokin'” is available on YouTube.
- Singer-songwriter and Arkansas native J Edwards, renowned for his inventive storytelling and raspy voice, has played his country rock and blues in small clubs throughout the country.
General admission is $30 presale, $35 at the gate; VIP tickets (reserved area in front of mainstage with an elevated view; includes a tented area with private bar, snacks, and port-a-potties) are $70 presale, $80 at the gate. Gates will open at 11:30am.
The Inaugural Rock the Hill in West Milton
The second festival and live concert in Miami County on August 17th is Rock the Hill, in West Milton from 5pm-9pm. Visitors to this music extravaganza also can enjoy a Kid’s Zone, 50/50 Drawing, a Beer & Wine Garden, and many Food Vendors.
- Formed in late 2006, Higgins Madewell has performed well over 1,000 shows together and enjoys a loyal regional following which has earned them the Active Dayton Best Band award for three consecutive years. The popular duo headlines this festival located West Milton Municipal Park 249 E. Tipp Pike, West Milton, OH.
- The Shelby Love Brothers are an eight-piece rock and roll band that began performing together back in 2015. The band formed when area brothers, Herb, Ben, and Andy Hufford decided it was time they contributed something of their own to the music scene, after getting so much from it for many years.
- The Rock Island Plow Company performs bluegrass music combining solid instrumentation with heartfelt vocals with a respect for tradition while embracing its future.
August 17th certainly is a day packed full of music events. Piqua’s final Rock Piqua! performance for the season will take place on the 17th at Riverfront Park 125 E. Water St. in Piqua.
Headlining this event will be Brother Believe Me. Offering a diverse song list from newer artists like Bruno Mars, Imagine Dragons, and Maroon 5, all the way to Poison, Michael Jackson, Shinedown, and too many others to list, BBM satisfies nearly any musical taste. From thousands at a family-friendly festival to packed uptown dance clubs, even weddings and private parties, BBM has earned a reputation as a mainstay of regional high-quality entertainment.
Celebrate at Tippapalooza
Celebrate Miami Valley music at Tippapalooza 2019. The 8th annual music festival takes place on Saturday, August 31, 2019 at Tipp City Eagles Park (3853 Hyattsville Rd., Tipp City) from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. This incredible event will feature five bands, food trucks, and craft beer. Admission is $10; children under 10 years of age are free. Bring your lawn chairs and Frisbees! (No coolers permitted).
- Seth Canaan & The Carriers thrilled the Tippapalooza audience in 2018 and now their back again, this time as headliners. Their recently released album is called Strange Forces.
- Sadbox is a Dayton quartet playing original rock music. Their first album, “The Magic Nothing,” debuted at Dayton’s Yellow Cab Tavern on June 2019. Vocalist and songwriter Paul Levy and guitarist Eli Alban and bandmates Ryan Goudy and Ray Owens, play 90’s style rock and roll.
- This Pine Box is a Dayton alternative rock band founded by lead vocalist/guitarist Jake Knight in 2016. Their 2017 album “The Way Out” was released in 2018 by Soul Step Records.
- Vocalist/guitarist James Crabtree put together alt-rock/ indie band A Voice of Your Own in 2017, featuring Rick Shutte (guitar), Levi Short (guitar, vocals), Johnny McConnell (bass) and Matt Mihalus (drums)The Dayton natives released their album “Vines on the Lines” in 2018.
- Age Nowhere is a self-described Americana-rock band with a sound that emerges from a neighborhood situated between a post-industrial Midwestern city and an endless array of corn and soybean fields.” their recently released debut album is “Airport Sounds”. The band will appear at Dayton Porchfest on August 24 before heading to Tippapalooza.
The proceeds of the festival will go to benefit Project Believe, a Tipp City non-profit with the goal of providing comfort and support to youth facing mental, emotional, and behavioral challenges.
The Music Continues in September
Coming in September: the Troy Porchfest.
The first Porchfest was held in Ithaca, New York in 2007 and has since become a national movement. On September 14, 2019 from noon to 5 p.m., this community music fest of more than 30 bands of various styles will be playing on porches, yards, lots and patios throughout the historic Southwest District. Pick up a walkable map and enjoy the music, food trucks, and local artisans. A sample of the vast array of genres includes these participating artists:
- Berachah Valley: bluegrass country and gospel
- Jerry Mullins: Southern rock and blues
- Ramblin’ Rovers: Traditional Celtic
- Elk Manakin: ambient synth jazz
- Paisha Thomas Trio: soul and musical storytelling
Discover Miami County, Ohio: contact us today!